Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
School AEDs Jump to new posts
Ridgefield AED memorial admin 01/13/2022 10:09 PM
After her husband died of a cardiac event, this Ridgefield woman makes push for all gyms to have AEDs

Shayla Colon
Feb. 18, 2021

Edward Brennan, 50, beloved father, husband and coach who died of of a cardiac event at a Ridgefield health club in Dec. 2012.

Edward Brennan, 50, was a beloved coach and athlete in Ridgefield. He worked out daily until December 2012 when he collapsed in a cardiac event at a Ridgefield health club..

“When my husband collapsed at the gym, there was no AED (automatic external defibrillator), no trained person there to help him,” Suzanne Brennan, his wife, said.

Minutes later, Edward Brennan was dead.

It’s possible that a defibrillator could have saved Brennan at the time. At this time, AEDs are not required a health clubs and gyms around the state, but Suzanne Brennan is making a push to change that.

Eight years after her husband’s death, Brennan is the driving force behind a state legislative bill, that had its measures been in effect at the time of her husband’s incident, could have potentially saved Edward’s life. Senate Bill 110 — proposed by state Sen. Will Haskell (D-Westport) and state Rep. Aimee Berger-Girvalo (D-Ridgefield) — would require all athletic facilities and health clubs in the state to have AEDs on-site with at least one staff member or volunteer trained to use the machine.

Suzanne reached out to several local legislators about the need for the proposed law after her experiences in Ridgefield. She looks at her friends who continue going to the gym and worries. She believes Connecticut can “do better.”

“I think knowing what we know and not doing something about it is unacceptable,” Suzanne said. “It’s indisputable that a place, where people are intentionally raising their heart rates, that it would not be required at the very minimum to have an AED device on-site and a trained staff person.”

The American Heart Association (AHA) indicated cardiac arrest is “a race against the clock.”

An AHA study found the combination of immediate CPR with defibrillation can more than double a victim’s chance of survival but for every minute an individual goes without CPR and defibrillation, survival chances decrease by seven to 10 percent.

Communities with AED programs including CPR and AED training have “achieved survival rates of 40 percent or higher for cardiac arrest victims,” the report said.

Haskell and Girvalo recently co-introduced the bill to the legislature and it is being considered by the Public Health Committee. Connecticut legislation requires AEDs be provided at certain locations across the state including public golf courses and schools, but not at health clubs.

Some health club chains in the state have enacted AED requirements on their own. The Connecticut YMCA and Orangetheory fitness are two franchises that have done so.

Orangetheory Senior Director of Health Science and Research Rachelle Reed said AEDs are required in every club in addition to mandatory training for all coaches. Reed thinks the bill is “a step in the right direction.” Alexandra Hall, YMCA Aquatics and Safety Director said the YMCA implemented a similar rule because AEDs do save lives.

Other states, such as Massachusetts, have adopted similar laws mandating AEDs at public health facilities.

Girvalo said the bill is supported by individuals on both sides of the aisle, she feels optimistic it will move forward for a vote. Haskell said he wouldn’t have necessarily known about the need for such legislation had it not been for Suzanne others wouldn’t have seen the opportunity to reform something that “just makes all the sense in the world.

“It is going to save lives and it is something that must pass the Public Health Committee this year,” Haskell said.
0 2 Read More
Little Rock AED save admin 01/13/2022 10:05 PM
[img]https://local12.com/news/investigat...756849f396d797378abb4bc9&jwsource=cl[/img]

Little Rock HS AED save

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (WKRC) - This is the story of an unlikely event that's more common than you might think.

“Everything was just a normal Tuesday night.” That’s eStem Mets boy’s basketball coach Nathan Pottorff. He’s in his seventh year as a head coach, but his first with eStem.

On that Tuesday night in December during a boy’s basketball game in Little Rock, Arkansas, 16-year-old Cobe Isaac came off the bench into the varsity game.

“This is his first year playing varsity basketball, so he was excited and playing hard,” Pottorff said.

The Mets were running a baseline out of bounds play. Isaac hit the court.

“My first thought was he probably took an elbow or something” Pottorff said.

A nurse practitioner from the Arkansas Heart Hospital was at the game and she and Little Rock Christian's team, including its athletic trainer and its director of facilities, raced to Isaac's side.

He didn't have a pulse.

“(The nurse practitioner) said, ‘We rarely stay for boys’ games, but my daughter wanted to stay that night and we stayed.’” Pottorff said.

Within a minute, Little Rock Christian says they used a defibrillator, commonly known as an AED.

The device's batteries had just been changed before the game.

“It was just a matter of an hour,” said Eric Schmidt, Little Rock’s director of facilities.

“When you put all those things together, it’s like terrible that it happened but it’s like God meant for it to happen at that time because he knew everything would be taken care of,” Pottorff said.

Little Rock Christian said what they learned from the situation is that they actually need another AED. It will be their fourth.

“You hear stories about it,” Pottorff said, “but as a coach you’re kind of naïve like yeah I’m ready for it but it’s not going to happen to me.

“But that night it happened to me.”

For the last decade, an Arkansas law requires schools to have an AED and train staff in its use.

It’s all because of a similar situation that took place in 2008, on a high school basketball court. Anthony Hobbs III collapsed and died. The law is named in his honor.

“We’ve all sat in the same room and watched those same videos and you’re like this is the extreme of the extreme,”Pottorff said. “Well I had to personally experience the extreme being real.”

Isaac is on the mend and expected to make a full recovery, but that day still gives those involved goosebumps.

“The robotic voice came on and said heartbeat restored,” said Gary Arnold, the head of school for Little Rock Christian Academy.

In an ultra-quiet arena in Little Rock Arkansas, that was the reason fans started to cheer.
0 3 Read More
Traverse City responds to HS death with life saving AEDs admin 01/13/2022 9:57 PM
TRAVERSE CITY — Reid Ruggles witnessed an athlete die on the court once, and doesn’t want to see it again.

The current Traverse City resident’s insurance agency sponsored the Fennville High School basketball team while he lived in nearby Hamilton, so Ruggles attended every Blackhawks game but one the 2011 season. That season would later go down in infamy.

Ruggles watched from high up in the balcony, sitting on the opposite side as normal for the packed game as the Blackhawks chased history, going for school’s first 20-0 boys basketball season.

Fennville multi-sport star Wes Leonard hit a game-winning layup in overtime to clinch the victory.

Moments later, he collapsed on the gym floor.

“All of a sudden, he went to the floor and never got up,” Reid said. “It went silent.”

Leonard passed away at a hospital about two hours after the game.

“The kid was a super, super nice, humble kid,” Reid said. “He knew he was good, but didn’t push it. It’s just something I’ll never forget. It’s something I hope nobody else has to experience.”

The presence of a functioning automated external defibrillator could have saved Leonard’s life. Ruggles said there was one at Fennville, but the batteries weren’t charged.

If defibrillated within the first minute of collapse, the victim’s chances for survival are close to 90 percent. For every minute that defibrillation is delayed, survival decreases by 7 to 10 percent. If it is delayed by more than 10 minutes, the chance of survival in adults is less than 5 percent. Survival rates are even lower when only CPR is used.

“He was definitely shaken up,” Ruggles’ son Jason said. “To this day, he still chokes up when he tells the story.”

Since that fateful night, Reid Ruggles pushed to get automated external defibrillators at his churches and schools. He campaigned for Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Holland to get one when he attended there before moving north. Ruggles brought in Leonard’s mother Jocelyn to speak to the church, and a spaghetti dinner raised the funds to buy one.

Once he and his wife Carol moved to the Traverse City area in 2015 to be closer to his children and grandchildren, he attended Advent Lutheran Church in Lake Ann.

“I noticed there was no AED and that got my juices flowing,” the 75-year-old Ruggles said.

The church now has one.

Ruggles’ grandson Thomas Richards plays basketball and runs on the track and cross country teams as a junior at Traverse City St. Francis. His twin granddaughters Ellie and Kate run track and play basketball at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Middle School.

St. Francis owned six AEDs last year, including portable ones that travel with the football and lacrosse teams. But Ruggles noticed the cross country and track teams didn’t have one of their own. Those juices started flowing again.

“It’s not just for the kids,” Ruggles said. “It’s just as likely for a parent or grandparent like me. It’s a long way to the school from where races are usually held.

“Nobody thinks much about an AED. It’s on the wall at the hospital or fire department. You don’t think about it until you need it — and then you hope it works.”

He said his goal is to have every team at TCSF have its own AED to travel with.

Fennville’s basketball coach at the time Leonard passed away, Ryan Klingler, now works with the Wes Leonard Foundation.

TRAUMATIC IMPACT
The Ruggles family is almost ubiquitous at St. Francis track and cross country events, even though most aren’t in Traverse City. Jason doesn’t have any children of his own, but is known as “Uncle Jason” by the team, and takes photos of all the Gladiators at races.

St. Francis applied to the Wes Leonard Foundation for a portable AED unit, but hadn’t heard anything back. That’s when Jason Ruggles took matters into his own hands.

He knew exactly which model to purchase. The 50-year-old worked for eight years as a paramedic and another eight as a fireman. He worked one department north of the one called in to assist when Leonard fell unconscious.

Ruggles worked a lot of overtime at Long Lake Marina last fall and this spring, socking away a good portion of that money to purchase the AED, spending $1,700 on a top-of-the-line model, the Zoll AED Plus. It’s the same model in the hallways of Munson Medical Center.

That model administers the shock for you, and will only release a shock if it detects that the patient needs it. It also comes with a CPR mask and scissors to cut through a uniform, if necessary. The paddles have to be applied to bare skin on the chest.

Any Gladiators team can use it when the track or X-C teams aren’t.

Jason, who moved to Traverse City two years after his parents, donated it to St. Francis in August on behalf of his nephew and nieces.

“We’re hoping this will spread a bit and more people will get on board,” Reid said. “You never know when this will happen.”

Jennifer Richards, Jason’s younger sister by 16 months and Thomas’ mother, said the donation eased the minds of everyone in the family, especially her father.

“Anything traumatic has a lasting impact on life,” Richards said. “It became personal for my dad. There’s not a time now when my dad goes to basketball games and doesn’t think of it. It made a lasting impact on him.”

NOT INDESTRUCTIBLE
Wes Leonard’s story isn’t alone.

Cardiac arrest in high schooler remains very uncommon, but its instances make no less of an impact.

Tylor Higgins, an 18-year-old DeWitt graduate and assistant coach on the swimming team there, collapsed and died in the school’s parking lot after playing basketball during a cross-training workout with the wrestling team.

Troy Athens student-athlete Kimberly Gillary died at age 15 during a water polo at Birmingham Groves.

An autopsy later revealed a previously undetected condition called hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, which can thicken the lining of the heart muscle. Her parents later raised funds to donate AEDs to both Athens and Groves.

Xavier Carter, a 15-year-old Lincoln Park sophomore, died during basketball tryouts in 2017 from cardiac arrest.

Grosse Pointe South freshman girls coach Bob Zaranek collapsed during halftime of a January 2020 girls varsity game between rivals Grosse Pointe North and South. Zaranek was running the clock, and a nearby AED in South’s gym and the quick reactions of a nurse in the stands, South’s JV coach and a police officer saved Zaranek’s life.

Skylar Lasby, a 13-year-old seventh grader at Saranac, collapsed during a non-contact football drill and died later that night in August 2019.

Grand Rapids Drive player Zeke Upshaw passed away at age 26 from sudden cardiac death, falling to the floor during a 2018 NBA G-League basketball game at the DeltaPlex.

Fruitport Calvary Christian basketball player Luke Anhalt collapsed on the gym floor during free-throw drill during a 2018 practice.

Coach Jeff Zehr used a AED located in the corner of the gym and resuscitated Anhalt.

“Time is everything when something like that happens,” Richards said. “We have this idea that kids are indestructible, but it can affect anybody.”

Neither the state nor the MHSAA require schools to have AEDs, but MHSAA varsity head coaches must undergo CPR and AED training. The same training is also available to assistant coaches that are interested.

When portable AEDs first hit the market, they cost in the range of $3,000-4,000 each. Prices have lowered, but units still cost well over $1,000 apiece. It’s the most repeated reason why schools don’t have even more than they already do.

TO THE RESCUE
Brandon Parcell heard Fred Bryant yell his name during a junior varsity girls basketball game last January.

He heard the urgency in Bryant’s voice.

“My head whipped around,” the 26-year-old certified athletic trainer at Cadillac Area Public Schools said.

Slumped up to a chair next the court was basketball referee Dale Westdorp, who stumbled toward the scorer’s table during the second quarter and didn’t get that far as he suffered a heart attack.

Parcell and school liaison officer Deputy Jason Straight started CPR on Westdorp and Bryant retrieved an AED from an enclosed case across the hall from the gymnasium and called 9-1-1.

Several Gaylord fans in attendance who happened to be nurses also acted.

Bryant, who took over as athletic director three years ago after moving from Newberry, implemented emergency action plans. The plans detail responses to emergencies at every CAPS athletic facility.

So when EMTs arrived, they came to the correct entrance, only about 10 feet from Westdorp.

At the Vikings’ second meeting of the season against the Blue Devils, this one in on the road, Westdorp attended the game to help honor the Cadillac staff and Gaylord fans who aided in his resuscitation.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Cadillac had the most AEDs of any local school district responding to a Record-Eagle survey about AED usage.

The Vikings possess 15 throughout the district. All are portable, although teams do not take them to road games unless Parcell travels with the team.

“There’s a huge emphasis now on having AEDs,” Parcell said. “They really save lives.”

AED SAVED LABELLE’S LIFE
Ben LaBelle got lucky when he suffered a heart attack during the 2013 Arcadia Days 5k race.

He collapsed by the finish line, which happened to be near the Arcadia Volunteer Fire Department, which had an AED.

And he happened to have a nurse running right behind him. Jennifer DeVries was a critical care nurse who since moved out of the state. Mary Strong, another nurse, was watching the race’s end. The two helped bring him back to life.

LaBelle, an assistant coach on the TC St. Francis track and field and cross country teams, said he was “dead on the scene” and doesn’t remember much about the whole day, other than being dehydrated on a hot summer day. He was in a coma for 10 days afterward. He didn’t know anyone there and didn’t carry ID during the race, and police used a key fob attached to his shoe to find LaBelle’s truck and identify him.

LaBelle attended the 2014 race, but didn’t run in it. Instead, he took flowers to DeVries as she ran the race again. LaBelle would run the race again in 2015 and 2017.

“Being on the receiving end is good,” LaBelle said.

Now, he carries the track team’s AED in his pickup truck, although he shouldn’t ever need it again. He’s since had surgery that implanted a pacemaker.

But it’s there in case anyone at a TCSF cross country or track event or practice ever needs it. When not in use, it goes in the trackside shed at St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Middle School.

“You just have to open up the case and it prompts you through the whole procedure,” LaBelle said. “It’s an amazing thing.”

LaBelle knew he had an issue prior to the Arcadia Days race.

“I had lived my life knowing a valve replacement was in my future,” LaBelle said.

That happened in 2014 after the Arcadia incident.

Now the 68-year-old runs the VASA trail.

“It took awhile for my wife to let me do these kinds of things,” LaBelle joked. “’You’re going to go run in the woods? Alone?’ she’d say.”

None of the Ruggles family knew about LaBelle’s own AED experience when they sought one for the team.

ALL HANDS ON DECK
Kirsten Seif joined the YMCA swim team when she moved to Traverse City from Columbus, Ohio, three years ago.

Late at the 2019 state Masters meet at Waterford, during the last event of the three-day event’s second day, Seif heard a coach frantically calling for help. An older man had fell on the pool deck and went into cardiac arrest.

“The nurse in me, I immediately ran over,” Seif said.

Another nurse happened to be in the competition as well, and the two administered CPR while someone else fetched an AED. They administered two shocks, and the man survived the heart attack and later had stents put in, Seif said.

“Before that, I didn’t even notice them,” said Seif, a 39-year-old nurse at Munson’s cancer infusion clinic. “But now I’ve been an advocate of having them on deck or at the event. I think that’s what saved his life.”

AED POLICY
Phyllis Olszewski keeps an AED right on the scorer’s table at East Jordan basketball games. That way, everyone knows exactly where it is.

“They’re very expensive,” the East Jordan athletic director said. “That’s why I can’t put one with every first-aid kit.”

The Red Devils own eight, all portable, dedicating two to the athletic department. The district bought a half dozen and received two through grants, including one from the Wes Leonard Foundation. Boyne City, Alba, Northport, Charlevoix and Glen Lake also received one each from the foundation.

“I can’t imagine ever losing a child,” Olszewski said. “(The Wes Leonard Foundation) will never know the impact they have had and their generosity. Thankfully, we’ve never had to use it, but it goes everywhere.”

School AED policies vary widely.

Many — such as Glen Lake, Charlevoix, Petoskey, Manistee and TC Central — send one with any team that’s accompanied by an athletic trainer.

Others — including Manistee Catholic, Manton and Kalkaska — have an AED for all road events.

Many others vary by sport. Suttons Bay owns one specifically for the football team. Gaylord sends them with any team commonly participating in events not at a school — cross country, skiing, golf and bowling.

TC St. Francis has AEDs dedicated to the track/cross country team, as well as football and lacrosse.

Locations vary as well, although most schools with more than one have one of them in or adjacent to the gymnasium. Most were acquired in the last decade.
0 3 Read More
Law enforcement use of AEDs Jump to new posts
Latest donation brings 100th AED to patrol units in Tucson admin 01/13/2022 9:53 PM
The Tucson Police Department received a donation of 25 automatic external defibrillators (AED) from the Steven M. Gooter Foundation and the local chapter of the 100+ Women Who Care.

Tucson Police Chief Chris Magnus said having the AEDs is important because police officers are often the first to arrive at medical emergencies.

“Both police and fire are dispatched at the same time. This means whoever gets there first, and in many situations, it is the police can begin lifesaving efforts right away,” said Magnus.

The donation brings the total number of AEDs available to officers to 100.
0 3 Read More
The business end ...AED product news Jump to new posts
Cardio Partners acquires AED Superstores admin 01/13/2022 9:48 PM
Cardio Partners, a Sarnova company,
Announce the Acquisition of Allied 100
The combination of companies expands access to sudden cardiac arrest (SCA)
preparedness solutions to customers nationwide
NEWS PROVIDED BY
Cardio Partners
Sep 07, 2021, 10:00 ET

BRENTWOOD, Tenn., Sept. 7, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- Cardio Partners, Inc., a company of
Sarnova, Inc. and a national leader in providing emergency preparedness solutions, announced
today that it has acquired Allied 100, LLC, a nationwide distributor of automated external
defibrillators (AEDs) and related accessories, from Ridgemont Equity Partners. The sale closed
on September 3, 2021.

Based in Wisconsin, Allied 100 is comprised of trusted cardiac response brands including; AED
Superstore, Heartsmart, SOS Technologies, CPR Plus and Annuvia. The combination of Cardio
Partners and Allied 100 will provide expanded sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) solutions, training
and services to both professional and bystander first responder markets.

Brian LaDuke, President of Emergency Preparedness at Sarnova, commented that, "Over
365,000 out-of-hospital sudden cardiac arrests happen each year in the United States.
Combining these companies expands our reach and offering, creating a full sudden cardiac
arrest solution enabling more customers the opportunity to respond in an emergency and
increase the chances that a life is saved."

"The Allied 100 team welcomes the opportunity to join Cardio Partners, another customercentric company, to offer expanded services to our customers," said Mike Berg, CEO Allied 100.
"This combination strengthens and brings emergency preparedness to the forefront in th
0 4 Read More
The business end ...AED product news Jump to new posts
Cardiac Science recall announcement G3 Elite admin 01/13/2022 9:42 PM
Cardiac Science issued an urgent field safety notice to announce a voluntary recall of its G3 Elite automated external defibrillator (AED) devices.

The Deerfield, Wis.-based company said in the notice that it received field reports saying that its G3 Elite devices’ “rescue ready” status indicator displayed red and the service LED was illuminated.

After investigating the issue, Cardiac Science traced the problem to a software anomaly associated with the Daylight Savings Time (DST) settings on the devices. If the device is configured with DST enabled, it will experience an error code that reads “0x99” after Daylight Savings.

Should the device reach this state, Cardiac Science said it must be returned to the company so it can clear the error, although it can be used clinically if an emergency arises. Cardiac Science also said that it is revising the software and will provide an update that is free of charge so the anomaly no longer occurs, but customers must return affected units so they may be updated.

FILED UNDER: CARDIOVASCULAR, RECALLS, REGULATORY/COMPLIANCE
TAGGED WITH: CARDIAC SCIENCE
0 3 Read More
AEDs at home Jump to new posts
The Villages in Florida's great public access AED programs admin 01/13/2022 9:41 PM
Click here for clickorlando.com story on The Village AED public access program

THE VILLAGES, Fla. – Once a month Lew Simon makes the short walk through his garage, to the side of his house.

“See that box,” he says, pointing to the square metal frame bolted to his wall. “That’s the AED. It’s mounted, it’s locked and it’s weatherproof.”

The Automated Defibrillator Device may be hidden behind a hedge but it’s clear Simon is proud to have it close by.

[TRENDING: What the shell? Car passenger hit in head by turtle | DeSantis sued over ‘anti-riot’ law | How long do COVID vaccines work?]

Simon needs to check the battery strength. He never knows when it will be needed.

“It still has roughly 30 shocks left in it,” Simon says after flipping the box open to inspect it.

Simon is the President of the Neighbors Saving Neighbors program which connects CPR/AED trained volunteers to the local 911 dispatch using ReadyAlert.

“That’s what the program is. It’s neighbors saving neighbors,” Simon said from his home in The Villages. “At the same time the paramedics get the tone, the neighbors that are trained get it. They live nearby and they can get there in about a minute. That makes a difference of four, five or six minutes of CPR being done.”

And that’s the point. When seconds count, having a trained volunteer nearby can mean the difference between life and death.

Simon started the program in 2004 when he first moved to the Villages. He was invited to a ‘welcome to the neighborhood’ potluck dinner and sprung the idea on his new neighbors. That year the neighborhood purchased two AED devices for the neighborhood of 53 homes.

It wasn’t long before the units were needed.

“Sudden cardiac arrest, he was dead,” Simon says, describing the moment his neighbor collapsed at the breakfast table. “We had a next-door neighbor there in about a minute. And we had four people and an AED unit there in less than two minutes.”

That man survived and is now 83 years old.

“You have no idea when sudden cardiac arrest is going to happen,” Simon said. “The sooner you can start CPR and keep that oxygenated blood going to the brain and the heart, the better the chance of survival.”

The program caught on and now includes 237 Neighbors Saving Neighbors communities with 4661 volunteer responders.

Bob Sjogren, Public Education Technician for The Villages Public Safety Department, says he teaches about two neighborhood CPR/AED training courses a month. Each course is community-specific where everyone attending lives in the same neighborhood.

“This is helping the people you already know, not just strangers,” Sjogren said. “But they can use this training anywhere to help save a life.”

News 6 was there along with about 20 residents of the Preserve, a community of 134 homes.

Christina Thompson was learning the basics of how and where to attach the defibrillator pads.

“I think it’s great that we got people to come out and train and be willing to help their neighbors,” Thompson said. “I read about how The Villages had a really high survival rate for cardiac problems and so I wanted to have the same services in our neighborhood.”

Thanks to the Neighbors Saving Neighbors program, The Villages has 628 AED units. It’s estimated this is the highest per capita for cities in the U.S. with populations of 100,000 or greater.

A number that makes Simon proud.

“It’s my neighbors that made this happen,” Simon said. “If they didn’t want to do it it wouldn’t have happened.”

If you would like more information about starting the program in your neighborhood visit the ReadyAlert AED website or contact Lew Simon at: avline@aol.com.
0 4 Read More
CKBW reports all Nova Scotia schools to get AEDs admin 01/13/2022 9:32 PM
Bridgewater, NS, Canada / CKBW
Steve MacArthur
Mar 17, 2021 | 10:28 AM

All Public Schools Will Soon Have Life Saving AED's
All public schools in Nova Scotia will soon be equipped with defibrillators.

The Nova Scotia government is making a $700,000 investment to ensure every school has access to the life saving devices.

Defibrillators are used to help those in cardiac arrest. The portable electronic devices analyze the heart’s rhythm and deliver an electric shock to help it return to a more effective rhythm.

“A school building is the heart of its community, often used on evenings and weekends by a variety of organizations and people of all ages. Everyone who enters one of our schools should be confident that a life-saving defibrillator is nearby,” said Education and Early Childhood Development Minister Derek Mombourquette. “It is my hope that the defibrillators will never have to be used, but seconds count in a cardiac emergency and having these devices available may save someone’s life.”

About 70 schools already have an AED and the money will help with the purchase of up to 350 more of the defibrillators.

Once school-based automated external defibrillators are installed, they will be added to the provincial registry which helps EHS in emergency situations.
0 4 Read More
Law enforcement use of AEDs Jump to new posts
Hancock County, IN gets AEDs for patrol units admin 01/13/2022 9:30 PM
Hancock County, IN gets AEDs for patrol cars and county buildings - click for article

HANCOCK COUNTY — The jolt coming out of the new automated external defibrillator is going to be “a very violent act,” the trainer told county workers at the courthouse annex.

That’s where the group gathered to see a demonstration on how to use the 74 new AEDs, which were recently delivered to county buildings and installed in all sheriff’s department vehicles.

Sheriff Brad Burkhart and officials from Cintas, the company from which the county has leased the equipment, spent a few days installing the units and discussing their usage.

“To have these installed in every one of our county buildings is very important for the safety of the public and the county staff,” Burkhart said.

The county is renting the state-of-the-art Zoll AED 3 units from Cintas; the equipment recently went on the market and would have cost around $1,895 a unit had the county bought them outright.

Instead, the county is paying $57,720 annually for the units for the next five years. Cost includes the AED device, a prescription for medical advice, inspections, service, maintenance and record-keeping.

County officials determined it was time to get new AEDs after realizing replacement parts for their older equipment, such as batteries and pads, were increasingly harder to obtain.

“These new ones are actually the first ones of their kind being used in the country,” Burkhart said. “They’re the best you can get.”

Sheriff’s deputies are often first on the scene at many emergencies around the county, and officials thought the cost was a good investment.

The units have a video screen and an audio system that basically tells a person using the unit what to do each step of the way.

“It also has pediatric integration,” said Kanav Kashyap, a representative of Cintas who conducted training for employees last week. “You can push a button and turn the unit to a pediatric mode to give less shock.”

During the short tutorials, Kashyap explained the difference between cardiac arrest and a heart attack and told county employees how important it is to act during those first few seconds a person is in distress. It’s vital, he said, to quickly employ an AED while someone else calls for help.

“These screens will also show you how to do everything, even the CPR, step-by-step,” Kashyap said.

Kashyap and Burkhart, who has preformed CPR many times during his 30 years of community service, explained to county workers that it is not easy to watch someone get shocked with an AED unit or to preform CPR. That’s important to know that going in.

“You’re pushing down, cracking a rib,” Kashyap said. “The scene is not very enticing.”

The new units will actually tell the operator how quickly to do CPR, which no longer includes breathing into a victim’s mouth.

Probably the best thing about the unit, officials said, is it can determine, once the pads are connected to a person, if the heart needs a shock or not.

“The idea is for the people here to bridge the gap until the specialists arrive,” Kashyap said.

After watching the demonstration, county workers were said they thought they could operate the unit if the need arises.

“It looks much easier than anything I’ve been trained on before,” said Nicole Parcell, deputy county recorder.

The officials also recommended people in all walks of life to take a course or brush up on their CPR and emergency skills.

What the AED can do:

The ZOLL AED 3 is the newest of its kind on the market.

Features a color touchscreen LCD display, Real CPR help, is WiFi-enabled for program management, has a defibrillator dashboard, cloud connection, RescueNet case review, clinical event case push, and UTC synchronization.

The ZOLL AED 3 has features designed to fit the responder. The AED 3 has been designed for the lay rescue responder featuring the CPR Uni-Padz III electrodes to be used on either adult or child rescues.

The ZOLL AED 3 also features Enhanced Real CPR Help. The CPR Dashboard displays the actual depth and rate of the compression numerically, along with elapsed time, CPR cycle count, shocks delivered, and ECG.
0 3 Read More
AEDs at home Jump to new posts
3 in 5 doubt ability to use AED - learn CPR/AED! admin 01/13/2022 9:22 PM
According to a 2020 Harris Poll, more than 3 in 5 Americans doubt their ability to correctly use an automated external defibrillator, while slightly more than half say they are proficient in performing CPR, according to the results of a recent survey.

In the survey of more than 2,000 adults, conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of workplace first aid services and supplies provider Cintas Corp., 63 percent of respondents reported a lack of confidence in using an AED, and only 54 percent said they felt comfortable administering CPR.
0 3 Read More
Wisconsin University Campus now safer admin 01/13/2022 9:13 PM
Currently, six of the University of Wisconsin’s 21 residence halls have AEDs: Dejope, Ogg, Smith, Waters, Chadbourne and now, Witte.

AEDs send electric shocks through the chest and into the heart, allowing a normal heartbeat rhythm to resume following a sudden cardiac arrest, according to the American Heart Association. The AHA also said AEDs can often double a cardiac arrest victim’s chance of survival.

Andreas Kyrvasilis, the co-president of Cardiac on Campus, said the AEDs in Waters, Chadbourne and Witte were all donations from Cardiac on Campus.

Cardiac on Campus raises funds for these AEDs primarily through their fall Red Tutu Trot 5K. Kyrvasilis said they hope to raise enough money to install another AED next semester, ideally in a lakeshore residence hall.

“We’re looking forward to continuing working, continuing raising awareness, getting people CPR and AED certified and hopefully getting another AED within the year,” Kyrvasilis said.

Cardiac on Campus chose Witte because, despite having over 1,200 residents, it did not have an AED, Kyrvasilis said. He said an AED was not included in Witte’s renovation plans, even though they typically only cost around $1,000.

Cardiac on Campus was founded in 2015 by cousins Brittany Derynda and Jessica Miller. They were prompted to start the organization when Deryanda’s 20-year-old brother, Jon Deryanda, passed away after going into cardiac arrest upon the completion of a half marathon.

Kyrvasilis said this new AED could mean the difference between life and death for someone experiencing cardiac arrest.

“The fact is that AEDs do save lives. The statistics show that a person’s chance of surviving a sudden cardiac arrest decrease by 10 % every minute that an AED is not used,” Kyrvasilis said.

According to AHA, AEDs, along with CPR, are often the only way to restore the victim’s heart rhythm to normal in many cardiac arrest cases.

Cardiac on Campus also works to CPR certify Madison community members. Kyrvasilis said so far they have certified 600 people.

After installing the AED, Kyrvasilis thanked UW Campus Environmental Health and Safety, which will maintain the AEDs. He also said Cardiac on Campus is pleased with this step in the right direction.

“This is a very exciting time,” Kyrvasilis said. “We are hoping that it will never need to be used, but if needed, it’s there.”
0 3 Read More
AED and resuscitation research Jump to new posts
Canada in phase 3 drone delivered AED study admin 01/13/2022 8:55 PM
Canada phase 3 trials on drone delivered AEDs - click for story

NOVEMBER 17, 2020
AIR, IUS EXCLUSIVE
DDC Completes Phase 3 of AED Delivery Project
BY INSIDE UNMANNED SYSTEMS
Drone Delivery Canada (DDC) recently completed the third phase of its AED (Automated External Defibrillator) On The Fly project in partnership with Peel Region Paramedic Services and Sunnybrook Centre for Prehospital Medicine.

The tests showed drones can decrease the time it takes to get an AED to cardiac patients in rural communities, according to a news release. DDC’s Sparrow drone used its cargo drop capability to place an AED in a designated area for an untrained bystander to retrieve and apply to a simulated cardiac arrest patient. The bystander followed real-time instructions from trained personnel via the drone’s audio announcement system.

The team measured response time to drop, retrieve and apply the AED as well as physiological and psychological human factors.

Remote launch and monitoring from the company’s Vaughan, Ontario, Operations Control Centre (OCC) and nighttime delivery were also tested. Simulated 911 call locations were sent electronically to the center. After a location came in, the UAS automatically flew from the Peel Paramedic station in Caledon, Ontario, to the destination and back.

The Sparrow was monitored in real time via the company’s FLYTE software system. The drone flew about seven miles round trip for these missions and was able to complete the drop off faster than a ground vehicle. This could improve outcomes for cardiac patients in rural and remote areas, ultimately saving lives.

“Working with lay responders, we continued our simulated cardiac arrest scenarios and optimized the ease of use of an AED delivered by drone through real time feedback to lay responders as well as performing night flights to ensure 24/7 capability of this unique AED solution,” said Dr. Sheldon Cheskes, an associate professor at the Department of Family and Community Medicine at the University of Toronto and the principal investigator of the research program, according to the release. “Finally, and most importantly, the launch and monitoring of the drone occurred from the Operations Control Centre at DDC headquarters in Vaughan, Ontario, reconfirming the capabilities of DDC’s remote monitoring with FLYTE.”

Cardiac Arrhythmia Network of Canada (CANet) and Zoll Medical Inc. supported the project.
0 4 Read More