AED Advocates Website
https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...spires-man-to-pick-up-cpr-and-aed-skills

Ryan Goh
PUBLISHED MAY 21, 2022, 2:07 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - Valet operator B. P. Jackson was woken up by his wife late at night in July 2019 when she witnessed his 74-year-old father suffering a cardiac arrest and collapsing.

"I saw him on the floor and there was a pool of blood surrounding him," said Mr Jackson, 49.

Detecting no pulse for his father, he called 995 and attempted to carry out cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) - with instructions from the dispatcher.

Elaborating on his emotions during the ordeal, he said: "It was really stressful, I did not know if I was doing it correctly. If I had the experience and the knowledge, I would have been able to deliver it better."

With his father's condition now stable, Mr Jackson intends to join a CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) course and get certified as a first aider to be able to help others facing a similar situation.

An AED is a medical device that can analyse the heart's rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm.

"(The course) will be useful at any point in time, so that you would be more confident that what you are doing is right," he said.
© AED Advocates Forums