Bobby Wehmeyer is a Dallas resident and founder & CEO of AED123, a defibrillator services company he formed after his father was saved by an AED. He wrote in an opinion piece in the Austin TX American Statesman newspaper.

https://www.statesman.com/story/opi...-could-help-save-more-texans/5432617001/

Texas businesses and organizations could soon save many lives each year thanks to an updated law that will make it easier for them to have Automated External Defibrillators.

Any family with a loved one saved by an AED knows the power of these machines and can tell you the details of their “AED moment.” For me, it came four years ago when my father was saved by a hotel’s defibrillator.

Dad was seated across the table from me at a hotel restaurant. We were having a normal conversation. Suddenly, he fell back in his chair, lifeless. He was 70 and in seemingly good health.

Like 400,000 Americans each year, he suffered from cardiac arrest that day. His heart just stopped beating.

The hotel had an AED, and an employee quickly grabbed it. None of us knew how to use it, but we opened it, and the device spoke to us with clear directions. Seconds later, it issued a life-saving shock to Dad’s heart.

Dad was lucky.

Fewer than 5% of cardiac arrest victims are treated promptly with an AED, and fewer than 10% survive. These victims are not the people you would expect. They include high school and college students, and even professional athletes. Earlier this summer, the world watched in real time as Danish soccer star Christian Eriksen was saved by an AED after suffering cardiac arrest during a Euro Cup game.

By having an AED on the field, the soccer officials had increased Eriksen’s chance of survival to 90%, just like the hotel where my dad had nearly died.

Now Texas businesses and organizations have the chance to give those same odds to other people’s fathers, mothers, children and neighbors. Until Senate Bill 199 passed during this year’s legislative session, there were barriers that blocked many Texas restaurants, retail stores, churches and public places from making AEDs available. Those groups were often concerned with the legal liability that might have come from using the AED incorrectly — or not using it at all — when someone was suffering cardiac arrest.

Many businesses and organizations figured the legal and financial risks were just too high.

SB 199 will change that when it is enacted on Sept. 1. Authored by Sen. Jane Nelson of Flower Mound, it was unanimously supported by both parties, and signed by Gov. Greg Abbott in June. It eliminates the legal liabilities related to AEDs, freeing businesses and organizations from the fear of being sued for having them.

This new law also removes onerous employee training requirements to better align with modern AED technology. Just as important, it requires monthly inspections of AEDs, ensuring the devices are ready to work properly when they are suddenly needed.

SB 199 encourages broader adoption of AEDs — but is only effective if businesses and organizations act on this new legislation.

While many states mandate that certain types of facilities have AEDs, Texas relies on the leaders of businesses and organizations to understand the value of AEDs and voluntarily acquire and maintain AEDs so they are prepared to save a life.

These leaders across Texas should seize this moment and commit to having and maintaining AEDs. My family was so blessed that an AED was available when needed. If more businesses have them, many more families will receive this same blessing.

It's About Life!