https://steinbachonline.com/articles/147-classic-cars-500-people-1-lifesaving-device

Woodridge is getting some valuable medical equipment that will be accessible to the community.

Cory Jackson, with the Woodridge Community Service Club, says the community’s car show raised enough money to purchase an automated external defibrillator (AED).

An AED, or automated external defibrillator, is used to help those experiencing sudden cardiac arrest. It's a sophisticated, yet easy-to-use, medical device that can analyze the heart's rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock, or defibrillation, to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm. -www.redcross.org

Back in February, Jackson's husband had a heart-related emergency and the 9-1-1 dispatcher asked Jackson if she had access to an AED.

“There is one at our firehall,” she notes. “But then you have to know a firefighter to get access to it. And again, I'm very lucky to have a couple of firefighters in my circle of friends. So, I had the dispatcher on the phone, my landline. I grabbed my cellphone, I made a call to one of the firefighters and within a matter of minutes, they were here with the AED.”

She is thankful that everything worked out for her husband and he’s doing okay.

$4,500 dollars was raised at the car show and Jackson says that is more than enough to pay for AED.

She is thankful for everyone who participated in the successful fundraising event, from planning the car show to bringing in classic cars, and volunteering.

“And the support of the community members who came in and bought the raffle tickets and bought the silent auction tickets or, you know, bought a barbecue lunch, helped us raise the money that we were hoping to in order that we could purchase a community accessible AED,” she adds.

Jackson reports there were 147 vintage cars that attracted over 500 people to the event.

The automated external defibrillator has been ordered and will be placed in a location yet to be determined, that will allow the community to have easier access to the device.

Jackson also expresses appreciation for the support from Larry and Delores Clavelle. She says they provided a lot of information and enthusiasm to plan the event and see it through.

It's About Life!