Helicopter ER: Yorkshire Air Ambulance called after golfer suffers heart attack in Hillsborough, Sheffield
An air ambulance was called after a golfer suffered a massive heart attack on the first fairway of a course in Sheffield.

By Robert Cumber
Published 13th Nov 2022, 00:19 BST
Updated 13th Nov 2022, 09:08 BST

Yorkshire Air Ambulance was scrambled to Hillsborough Golf Club when dad-of-two John Anderson, aged 65, collapsed shortly after beginning his round there with some friends. He stopped breathing for nearly 10 minutes and only survived thanks to the quick-thinking of his fellow players. One of them, Kevin Goss, immediately started CPR, while another, Rob Biggins, ran back to the clubhouse to seek help.

Club steward Carl Pagden, who is trained in first aid, and another golfer Matt Shaw raced to the scene and joined Kevin in giving CPR until paramedics arrived with a defibrillator and managed to restart John’s heart before the air ambulance arrived. John was airlifted to the Northern General Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery to fit a mini-defibrillator and pacemaker.

‘I've been told I was dead for over nine minutes’ says Sheffield golfer who owes his life to friends
Paramedics attend to John Anderson after he suffers a massive heart attack at Hillsborough Golf Club in Sheffield. He was airlifted to hospital by Yorkshire Air Ambulance, and his story features on the TV show Helicopter ER

Retired farrier John said: “It was my first time at the club and I remember Rob saying the first hole was on a bit of a hill but after that it wasn’t too bad. I took my first shot and the next thing I remember is waking up in hospital. But I’ve been told I was dead for over nine minutes. Without Kevin, Matt and Carl I would not be here – they literally saved my life and I can’t thank them enough for what they did that day.”

John has made an excellent recovery since the incident in May last year and is back playing golf at the club, which now has a defibrillator at the clubhouse and one on the course, after his grateful son Callum launched a fundraising campaign to pay for one of the life-saving devices.

John said: “When I was in hospital, the footballer Christian Eriksen suffered his heart attack on the pitch during the European Championships and I thought how terrifying it must have been for everyone around me. Thankfully, he survived as well because he received immediate CPR. I am just so grateful that I got that second chance. Every day I wake up is a bonus.”

It's About Life!