https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...spires-man-to-pick-up-cpr-and-aed-skills

Ryan Goh
PUBLISHED MAY 21, 2022, 2:07 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - Valet operator B. P. Jackson was woken up by his wife late at night in July 2019 when she witnessed his 74-year-old father suffering a cardiac arrest and collapsing.

"I saw him on the floor and there was a pool of blood surrounding him," said Mr Jackson, 49.

Detecting no pulse for his father, he called 995 and attempted to carry out cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) - with instructions from the dispatcher.

Elaborating on his emotions during the ordeal, he said: "It was really stressful, I did not know if I was doing it correctly. If I had the experience and the knowledge, I would have been able to deliver it better."

With his father's condition now stable, Mr Jackson intends to join a CPR and automated external defibrillator (AED) course and get certified as a first aider to be able to help others facing a similar situation.

An AED is a medical device that can analyse the heart's rhythm and, if necessary, deliver an electrical shock to help the heart re-establish an effective rhythm.

"(The course) will be useful at any point in time, so that you would be more confident that what you are doing is right," he said.

It's About Life!